If you have just registered, welcome to our community! You'll see that placeandtime.com is unique, fun, easy to use and can be quite addicting. Below we have summarized some of the things you can do on the site. You can get to know us over time, but there is no time like the present to get started.
A good way to get acquainted with the site and its main elements is to look through the Featured Chronicles list on the site home page and open and read those that sound interesting to you. The authors of those chronicles will be advised that you visited and you can make comments if you wish. You can also access these by category from the featured categories list.
Next take a look at the Community Chronicles. Want to tell everyone about a celebrity encounter, an interesting happening that you witnessed or ask if anyone has any photo to share from one of your past places and times? This is the place to do it. If you don't have a photo, your words will do fine. And you can always find an image on the Internet to illustrate your story. We will notify you when anyone comments to any of your posts on your messages page.
Selecting our site icon or the "Our Community" link will take you to the Featured and Community chronicles. So now lets take a look at some other things you can do!
Create a Chronicle
Pick any subject about any important activity or events in your life - - the years of your youth, a tribute to your parents, best places you have visited, last year's soccer (football) season, your school years - - the possibilities are as diverse as life itself. Upload a photo for the chronicle cover and write an introduction or summary. Now your chronicle is ready to be filled out with place and time posts, authored by you or by others that you invite. Making Posts: We provide an easy-to-use editor to upload your best photos and to tell their stories. Each such "post" must be marked for a specific "place" and "time". These are then attached to one or more of your chronicles or to a group chronicle. Posts inside a chronicle align by time of occurrence, oldest first, but also can be arranged by place of occurrence or time of posting.
Search a Place and Time
Every Post in every Chronicle (unless you mark them "private") is put into our placeandtime database. Our search panel allows you to virtually "go to" any place and time to see the stories that have threaded through there. Once a post is discovered, a simple click takes you to the chronicle to which it belongs and enables communication with the author.
Find a Chronicle
Chances are that you were sent a chronicle link by a friend or discovered one in through a search engine. In those cases the link will take you directly to the chronicle on our site. Alternatively, the placeandtime.com search panel also allows you to find any chronicle, post or person by "place", "time" or "text" search.
Make a Quick Post
Everyone has a number of favorite old photos that they would like to share with others who have had an experience or interest in that same place and time. In this case it is not necessary to create a chronicle. Simply create a post as above and make sure it is marked "public". Placeandtime.com will advise you when anyone "visits", comments or sends a message regarding your posts. Placeandtime.com also provides a 3rd party service that will scan your old photos and post them to your account shoebox.
Connect and Share with People
PlaceandTime.com provides many ways to connect, re-connect and share with people. Community interaction is centered on people's stories and is enhanced by easily discovered commonality with respect to places and times. Here are some important sections and functions found on the site:
- About Me. This section is where you can tell other members about yourself. It has four tabs. "This Is Me" is a free form page where you can present yourself in words and pictures. You may include links to your accounts on other social networking sites like Facebook or MySpace. "Biography" is a section where you list the major places and times of your life, i.e. where you lived, worked and traveled. "I Recommend" is where you list your best chronicles and other chronicles that you like. "My Access" is where you may change your user name and password as you wish.
- My Bookmarks. For yours or anyone's chronicle or for any places and times that are of interest to you, simple set a bookmark and we will provide an alert whenever a new post or new content is added by anyone. No need to keep checking for new posts to a family collaborative chronicle or for new chronicles that intersect your hometown in the 70's, for example.
- My Messages. The site supports a private member-to-member message service. We also use this service to notify you if anyone adds a comment to any of your posts or chronicles.
- Guest Rooms. For every chronicle, the site records number of views, popularity and will show which members read your work and when.
- Intersections (coming soon). Placeandtime.com will let you know who else in the community has lived, worked or traveled in the same places and at the same times as listed in your Biography. A simple click will link you to those members.
- Privacy, Appropriateness and the Karma System. Placeandtime.com will not share your personal information with anyone. What shows to others when they access your "About Me" pages is totally up to you. We also have selections on every post where you can signal your approval or disapproval of any content and where you can tell us if you feel it is inappropriate. Since we know the author of every post, we are able to create a "karma" rating for each member. Members authoring chronicles or posts that are not acceptable will quickly develop a low karma score. Coming soon, any member may set a filter to exclude all content from members with lower scores.
Rent a Billboard
Placeandtime.com introduces low cost yet exclusive advertising opportunities. The top of every page on the site is reserved for the placement of four exclusive billboards for each town/city. These will receive 100% of the impressions for any members who reside in that town/city and for anyone who visits chronicles and posts that are marked for that town/city. Creating billboards to place on your rented spaces is simple and fun. They billboard messages can be changed as often as you like which is great for ongoing events and offerings.
Note: To get back to this quick tour at any time, click on our site icon to get to the home page. Then select any of the icons just below the opened book graphic at the center of the page.